In light of recent requirements for technology integration in Michigan, the Department of Education has put out a list of technologies that can be great tools for students learning in the classroom. There are several technologies on the list that I have used in my classroom before, and several that I would like to use. For example, I have used WebQuests in my Social Studies classroom and even created a few. They work well for engaging students in research when they sometimes find historical research boring or challenging. It is helpful to give students a step-by-step process and direct them to specific resources to combat this issue. That's where WebQuests make great tools.
I don't have much experience with wikis, but did have an opportunity to create one in my CEP 811 (MSU MAET course). I can see this resource being challenging to use with my students just because it involves group work in a setting that they are not used to collaborating in. I would need to do some ground work to explain the technology and how it can properly be utilized in the classroom. In the end, though, I think it would be a great way to give a voice to group members that may not normally speak up during discussions.
Another online resource that I have used in my Social Studies classes and will continue to use is educational games. Recently, my 7th Grade classes used a game that had them locate countries in Europe. This was valuable because my students could see how much or little they actually knew about European geography while still making learning interesting and fun.
I agree that having group work use online technologies can sometimes help that quiet students to contribute an equitable amount.
ReplyDelete