Friday, July 29, 2011

Trying Out Google Reader: A Reflection

          After regularly using my RSS reader, I have discovered that there are many benefits to doing so. At first, I was overwhelmed when I was searching and finding websites to add to my reader. I felt like there was no way I could ever read all the wonderful information that is out there pertaining education. I was discouraged (I also switched from iGoogle to Google Reader because I liked the format better). However, I decided to just stick to a few interesting and helpful websites and go from there (to not bite off more than I could chew). I have read many helpful articles and blog posts over the past few weeks because of my RSS feeds. I enjoy reading blog posts from educators the most because I can relate to them and I enjoy the advice that they give. Many of the strategies and information offered also seems to be more “doable” for me (easily implemented in the classroom). One way that I may use RSS readers in my classroom is in a social studies context. I can have my middle school history students add news websites to an RSS reader and check them frequently for top news stories. Basically, my students would be doing reports on current events and becoming better global citizens (and more Internet savvy in the process).
Do you use RSS Readers? If so, how have they benefitted your goals as an educator?

No comments:

Post a Comment