In a multiple intelligences quiz, I scored the highest in "interpersonal" and "Linguistic". Here's a description of the two:
Linguistic Learner
- likes to: read, write and tell stories.
- is good at: memorizing names, places, dates and trivia.
- learns best by: saying, hearing and seeing words.
Interpersonal Learner
- likes to: have lots of friends, talk to people and join groups.
- is good at: understanding people, leading others, organizing, communicating, manipulating and mediating conflicts.
- learns best by: sharing, comparing, relating, cooperating and interviewing.
(descriptions from Learning Disabilities Resource Community)
As a History/English teacher, I believe that these characteristics assist me well as a teacher. They also helped me as a student as they lend to the traditional way of learning in the classroom (reading, writing, memorization, group projects). Hands-on activities were fine for me, but definitely not something I had to have. Also, I always found that studying be writing out important info and re-reading the information.
As a teacher, it is impossible to incorporate every students' learning style/multiple intelligences every day. So, I just attempt to do activities that reach a few. I also deal with this issue by giving students "choice boards" for assignments - that way they can choose how they would like to learn or be assessed. This works really well for middle school students because it gives them a sense of responsibility.
No comments:
Post a Comment