Thursday, July 14, 2011

Computer Maintenance and Security

          Computer maintenance and security is definitely not my strong suit. When I had a PC, my computer always seemed to get some sort of malware that would slow down my computer. Now, looking back, the problems I had could have been prevented by educating myself. I have taken a couple tutorials on this subject from Atomic Learning and even though I now have a Mac, some information was still valuable. First, I didn't know that Internet Explorer was so intertwined with Windows that you cannot delete it. To use another browser, you can download it and make it your default, but never delete Internet Explorer (you need it to get Windows updates). Also, in this same subject, Internet Explorer has many "holes" so it is advisable to use another browser such as Mozilla Firefox.
          Another subject that I explored was email security and maintenance. I am guilty of leaving hundreds of emails in my inbox because I "might need them some day". The tutorial inspired me to clean up my inbox and also to start using my Spam folder to cut down on the amount of spam emails that I am getting. I will definitely be informing others about both of these issues (if they did not know before).

1 comment:

  1. One time I deleted a part of IE and couldn’t understand why I lost the browser.

    ReplyDelete