Saturday, July 9, 2011

Social Networking: Personal and Professional

          As a part of my online class at MSU in the MAET (Masters of Educational Technology) program, I have been challenged to evaluate my social networking practices. The course has also broadened my perspectives on this powerful tool and has led me to new ways to network.
Personally, social networking for me has generally only occurred in two ways - through personal meetings and Facebook. I have been a part of Facebook since when it was restricted to college students and have developed connections in that way. However, I only make connections on Facebook when I have met the person "in person" ie. I don't meet new people on Facebook. Therefore, Facebook only solidifies connections for me.
          My time at college at Spring Arbor University, as well as my student teaching placement at Western Middle School and my position as a teacher at Marshall Middle School have really helped to expand my social network (part of my Personal Learning Network). These connections have served me well - especially as I am currently job hunting. It is amazing how powerful social networking can be when applying for a position. Having people to "put in a good word" for you is really assuring when submitting a resume.
          A couple social networking resources that am just learning about are Ning and LinkedIn. These sites have groups that connect people with similar interests (example: Educational Technology or MSU alumni) in order to share ideas and create valuable connections. I am also starting to use Twitter to expand my social network. I am just starting to use these resources, but I think they will be valuable learning avenues for me as I go forward.
          One of my challenges is how to take Facebook from being primarily a personal social networking tool (mostly friends) to a more powerful professional tool. Please comment with any advice on or experience in topic!

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you described your use of Facebook as solidifying connections for me. Your plans to explore Ning and LinkedIn to develop professional resources in a specific topic area could prove rewarding.

    ReplyDelete