Saturday, July 9, 2011

Social Networking in the Classroom?

          I have been wrestling with this topic for a few months now. I have also done some research and still have not been able to come to an ultimate decision. Here's the dilemma: students are used to using Facebook and check it all the time. So, I would like to create a class Facebook page as well as have my students be able to contact me on Facebook. However, many schools still frown on using Facebook in the classroom (can't access it at most schools because the site is blocked). Also, the Facebook "lingo" or terminology of becoming "friends" does not lend itself to the professional aspect of the teacher-student relationship.
          I have considered creating a separate persona on Facebook for my students or, severely restricting what my students can see when they become my "friend" on the site. I have also considered creating a Facebook page for myself as a teacher and/or my classroom and having my students "like" the page. Either way, I am still trying to find a way to make Facebook work because I use it so often and so do my students.

1 comment:

  1. Creating a separate (teacher) account, either on Facebook or Linkedin has been very successful with several teachers I know.

    ReplyDelete