Friday, July 1, 2011

Blogs vs. Traditional Web Pages

Blogs, to me, represent our new Web 2.0 world; a world in which information and thoughts are shared and things are constantly being created and evolving. Blogs allow people to create and communicate in ways traditional web pages did not. Traditional web pages (in the Web 1.0 era) did not allow for constant two-way communication, idea sharing, and creating. These websites were created by a select few for a select purpose. Blogs allow anyone to share their thoughts and perspective in a fast and convenient manner while also allowing others to give their input. Blogs have also created online communities through followers and contributors. For a basic introduction to blogs, check out this informational video entitled Blogs in Plain English.

1 comment:

  1. The video on blogs brings up some very good points about the differences between webpages and blogs. When I first taught these courses, I set up webpages to communicate information with students similar to what I have done with my blog. Creating the blog was much easier and so much quicker to access and edit. I don’t need to have webspace through an institution (or pay for space) or use an ftp connection. Each person has the right to share information. This can be good or problematic but that is the topic for another blog.

    ReplyDelete