Thursday, December 1, 2011

Wiki Experimentation

     This week I had a chance to try out both Wikipedia editing and Wikispaces. I created my own Wikispace that I can use to collaborate with colleagues and/or students. It was great to have the opportunity to experiment with creating my own wiki as I have only been a member of one before.
     I love the flexibility and group input benefits that wikis bring. It is amazing to see how collaboration can be made so much easier with this tool. I am excited to see how I can use these in my classroom.
     Editing/writing in Wikipedia is harder than I thought it would be! I added some content to the Olivet Community Schools page on Wikipedia and experimented with external links and creating a References section at the bottom (see screen shot below of the preview stage of my edit). I added the information about our district's Strategic Plan (core beliefs and values). Overall, I learned a lot about wikis and it feels great to have actually contributed something to Wikipedia!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you were able to make some substantial additions to your district's page -- definitely a cool feeling to be a Wikipedia contributor.

    ReplyDelete